Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Itchy fingers, tired bones

Lucille and friends. Remember Lucille? She gives us HUGE brown eggs.Welsie the proud. She gives us dark brown eggs, second only to Lucille's in size.
Lovely Tawnie gives us pale brown "torpedo" eggs, longer and more slender than the other hens' eggs.

This morning the girls were out scratching in the grass clippings Rick spread in their yard after mowing the yard yesterday afternoon. That task culminated the outdoor work we'd labored at all day. First we finished planting our garden, putting in peas, carrots (will plant more in two weeks), purple "green" beans and wax beans, zucchini, Casper pumpkin, Sweet Dumpling squash, and the remaining starts: bell peppers, cucumbers and an eggplant. These joined the tomato, pepper, lettuce, celery, and zucchini starts Rick had planted earlier.My dear husband is not satisfied growing the things that do so well here, like berries (out of frame on the left). Being the midwestern boy he is, he keeps fighting to grow bumper crops of tomatoes in our shorter, cooler season. This year his scheme is to give each plant its own greenhouse, and to that end he bought those white barrels. When he ran out of barrels, he rigged plastic bags over wire cages for the rest. (The barrels cut length-wise cover the first five pepper plants he planted.) We'll see if his idea works; even if it does, it would probably be cheaper to BUY tomatoes than the plants and barrels!

There's still some room left to the right of the barrels; I think I'll check into some seed potatoes today.

After finishing the garden I tackled weeding the badly neglected flowerbeds. I've kept up with a couple of the smaller ones, but the rest have gotten away from me. I made a dent yesterday, but only a dent. I am thinking of hiring someone my friend and neighbor has used to help me catch up; it would be worth the money! After all the bending over, my body was complaining rather loudly last night. But I remembered to take a couple ibuprofen at bedtime, and feel fine (well, as fine as a middle-aged person ever feels :-) this morning.

Once inside I made a batch of bread and a batch of granola. I would love to have sat down with Brian's sock, as my fingers are just itching to start the heel flap, but we were out of bread. Sigh. The only knitting I got to do yesterday was the bind-off row at the bottom of the raglan cabled baby cardigan.

That's it for now at . . .

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar