Directed by Ti West
I used to work in daycares, so I can tell you now there is nothing about children that scares me. (Its not for the faint of heart either. I'm talking blood, boogers, diapers, screaming, biting, the works.) Babysitting on the other hand....well, we all know what happens to the attractive, likable, babysitter late at night.
In House of the Devil, directed by Ti West, our babysitter is antagonized by a satanic cult. Samantha, a girl we all went to school with, answers a babysitting ad which takes her to an eerie house in the boonies. She soon learns that she will not be watching a baby, but the elderly mother of some creep. When she accepts, we all know she shouldn't have done that.
This movie was recommended to me and ended up becoming one of my favorite genre movies in recent years. Its a throwback to the exploitation and slasher films of the early 80's that creates a subtle uneasiness in the viewer. Long shots of Samantha roaming the dark house, the panning camera paired with the menacing violin, the slow realization of danger in our heroine, all leading up to a bloody and frightening ending.
The brooding exposition of the movie is not going to be for everyone but I really appreciated it! West put careful thought in establishing a mood and unease that many current horror films lack. Do I want all horror movies to follow this plot structure, slow, slow, slow, beautiful suspense? No. But when they do I will propably be watching on the edge of the couch.

0 Yorumlar