Runaway by Alice Munro (2004, 335 pages)
Runaway by Alice Munro (1930-Ontario, Canada) is a collection of eight short stories. All the stories are set in Canada, mostly in Ontario, and all have as their central characters women more or less trying to runaway from the circumstances that trap them. Most of the stories are about thirty five pages long, with the final story being twice as long as the others. (I have previously posted on the title story from the collection, "Runaway".)
Most of the women in the stories come from small towns in Ontario. I was pleased to see that several of them are very literate. The stories are about the accidents that shape our lives, in fact in two of the stories this is literally true as car accidents play a big part in some of the plots. Some of the characters do seem a bit lost and some of them or their daughters ended up married to doctors. Munro packs a lot of life into thirty pages and make the years fly by for us.
I got a good feeling for what life must be like in the Canadian winter from these stories. Many people who have only lived in tropical climates like the Philippines find it hard to relate to the closed in feeling such harsh winters can impart to lives. Living in a climate dominated by rain cycles seems to me to shape the psyche in ways very different from one dominated by long periods of potentially killing cold.
I enjoyed reading these stories a lot and I can see why Munro is such a highly regarded short story writer. If you were to take a poll among short story lovers as to who the best living writer in the genre was, I think most people would say "Alice Munro" unless they are from Ireland and then "William Trevor" might be the pick.
Munro has published ten collections of short stories. I will next read her The View from Castle Rock, probably in 2012.
Please let us know of your experience with Munro.
Mel u


0 Yorumlar